Saturday, August 29, 2009

What made me for this long journey?

Da Hua Lian Project is a long journey. It started in Sept 2007 and maybe it will completed by Sept 2012. Originally, I kept this project as a private journey until I had a conversation with a man three days ago. I decided to post my project via a blog to share what I have learned from the root of Chinese culture - I Ching or Yi Jing (易经).

Who I am: I was born in 1953 in China. I grew up in a specific time in which I had no opportunity to learn or appreciate the beauty of our traditional culture. I did not have formal fine art training or any other education from age 13 to 25. After I came to US in 1988, I became a computer programmer and did not have time in reading Chinese.

I always ask myself, why my thinking is based on binary math model. If there are three variables I naturally produce eight scenarios to cover all test cases in coding. 

I remember in a class of advanced data structure in 1990, a teacher said no one was right in solving one problem. The teacher started to analyze the problem in depth and covered the whole blackboard with white chalk notes. Suddenly, he stopped for a while, and then erased all notes from the blackboard. He turned to us and said, Hong Yang’s answer is correct. I was shocked and wondered where the thinking power came from. I belong to the “Lost Generation” who missed 10 years of normal education during the Cultural Revolution from 1966 to 1977. I still keep that homework notebook in a box.

This mind processing influences me in painting.

Art in a none artist's mind: As self-taught painter, I might be a complete nut who does the artwork differently with many violations which breaks all rules in fine art. However, I enjoyed the journey with full passionate feelings because the whole painting process of this series was like a decoding of Chinese culture. During the journey of painting, I touched Chinese culture DNA code by code.

I started the first painting – Qian Gua (乾卦) on July 20, 2008, 10 months after the design completed. By August 30, 2009, 14 paintings will be finished in 13 months. I plan to complete this series of 64 paintings by September 2012. The whole journey from an idea to the end would be about five years.

Although I did not have much time to paint each day, I did what I could with the amount of time available. Sometimes, I was happy just to complete a tiny component. I enjoyed every minute spent in learning my own culture step by step. I kept a diary of this journey.

Along with this special journey at home in my limited spare moonlight time, at work I led a project team accomplished a huge IT project to migrate legacy utility billing systems from mainframe to SAP CCS. I had worked at least 14 hours per day during the whole project in 16 months. I always woke up in mid of the night with solutions to problems. I took quick notes on a notepad near the pillow. Many of the solutions are Chinese notations from I Ching or Yi Jing (易经).

Old sayings in nowadays: Thanks to those ancestors who created a powerful thinking process based on a binary mathematical model called Yin and Yang (in the contemporary world, it is called 0 and 1).

From I Ching or Yi Jing (易经) I learned that it is quite normal to be surrounded with various unknown changing forces therefore we should assess the change patterns in order to adopt or create positive positions without frustrations or insecure feelings. When unpredictable changes become variables to a predictable thinking process then there are no unpredictable fears in any changes.

The predictable thinking process is the way fully defined in I Ching or Yi Jing (易经). I realized that I had been influenced by I Ching or Yi Jing (易经) via reading Chinese classic novels and history books which had made me quite different from people in this part of world even before I entered here from the far east.

Planting seeds for dreams: The reason why I picked up Da Hua Lian as the visualized image notation in my painting is because my grandma was a fan of Peking Opera. I was influenced from my grandma who lived with me in same bedroom for years in the 60s.

Without knowing the seeds were planted deeply in my soul I would not be happy with those bothersome images around me all the time. It was very often that I had dreams of those floating and mixed painted faces – Da Hua Lian. WYSIWYG (pronounced wiziwig), is an acronym for What You See Is What You Get. You will WYSIWYG my dreams when you see the paintings.

Curiosity and un-erased images are composed of my artwork. The artwork to me is not just illustrating the images in a certain way but show the way of thinking (the virtual notation) by using those vicious notation. It might be a long lonely journey I initiated and fulfilled, but very interesting and full of enjoyment.

I would like to share 64 paintings of Da Hua Lian Array 《大花脸阵》and my diary to the world via my blog. This journey help me to be a fulfilled individual via the benefit from a timeless, superior, and valuable philosophy and beautiful human mind set - I Ching or Yi Jing (易经).

10 comments:

  1. Helen, keep up the good work. I'm truely blown away by your art work. You have a natural gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen, I just started reading your blog and I am already hooked on your art and your journey. The art is so engaging. I love the colors, the compositions, and the story behind it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken, thanks for the encouragement. I started Da Huan Lian Array #15 today (9/1/09).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachmeal, Haha...大富翁(Da Fu Weng),many years ago, you influenced me a lot from you photography, design, and artwork. Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MG, a friend, asked me some questions yesterday. I did not fully answer him. Today, I provide my answers to some of his questions as follows.

    Q&A 1

    MG: Why do you use Da Hua Lian not car in your painting?

    HY: This project is a journey of decoding the root of Chinese culture at DNA level. The painting notation must be an image that represents Chinese culture. Car is an invention from Western culture. I use Da Hua Lian – the male role in Peking Opera with painted face, because of an influence from my grandma who was a fan of Peking Opera. I might use other image if my grandma planted some seeds other than Peking Opera in my mind.

    MG: In old days, everyone was fan of Peking Opera in China. What made your grandma special to you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Q&A 2

    MG: In old days, everyone was fan of Peking Opera in China. What made your grandma special to you?

    HY: She influenced me with two things: education and Peking Opera. She was born in 1893, 60 years older than me. At her time, women were still forbidden for nature growing feet. She read newspapers which most of women at her age couldn’t. She was lucky to get education as female in old China. China has been changed a lot for women from her generation in past 100 years.

    My grandma had a strong mind for education. Her six children, 3 sons and 3 daughters, all went to colleges. Not many families in China could afford that then. She kept saying education is the most important thing in life. Fortunately I had my feet freedom but I was forbidden to get college education because of my family background during Cultural Revolution. I tried very hard to get education after 10 years of Cultural Revolution. The drive for me to US was for education. When I got my first MS degree of Educational Administration and Supervision in 1990 at age 36, I could feel that my grandma was so happy for me.

    I have another strong desire - painting those faces (Da Hua Lian), from my mind. I am wondering it might be also the influence from my grandma. When I was in the same bedroom with her, I couldn’t tolerate the noisy sounds from a little box – a semiconductor radio receiver, made by a cousin from Beijing University. I never know if it is the seed planted deeply from her that makes me creating this set of unique painting. But, it is for sure that I was heavily surrounded with Peking Opera day and night. I don’t know why I love Peking Opera more and more after I left China. Most of traditional Peking Operas were forbidden during the Cultural Revolution.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Q&A 3

    MG: Do you know anyone painted Da Hua Lian with I Ching?

    HY: No, as far as I know. Many people painted Da Hua Lian but not with I Ching

    In this painting, Da Hua Lian is just a notation picked from my favorite images. The soul of the painting is the patterns of change. I designed the 64 paintings in 2007 based on binary math model. In 2008, I visited Beijing and saw an I Ching book called Zhou Yi (周易). What a coincidence that the 64 hexagram rotation matched my design! So, I changed my mind and adopted Da Hua Lian image for decoding I Ching or Yi Jing (易经).

    I might be the only one who thinks this way and is willing to take this long journey. Without learning computer science I won’t be able to see the patterns behind I Ching or Yi Jing (易经). Without years of coding, I won’t be able to design this painting with a desired architecture which separates variables from structure. Without doing about 20 information technology projects in almost 20 years, I won’t be experienced in managing a large project – five years of my moonlight time, like this easily. Without growing up in the Far East for 34 years and rooted from Chinese culture plus without having a smashed re-born in Western culture for 22 years, I won’t be thinking of what I am thinking now.

    Now, I am painting what I am thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Q&A 4

    MG: Abstract painting is not for ordinary audiences. Some people may see things not related to their own desired senses for art. Some one may see things completed from other perspectives or from different angles. Maybe someone would see great value from this painting and appreciate your paintings.

    HY: It might be a lonely journey with all kind of tastes in each step from the beginning to the end. But, I am going to reach the end no matter what… It is the journey I desired to choose. It is just a journey of learning experience.

    Thank you very much for your questions that make me thinking from different perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your work and your story. The works are beautiful. What a great idea for a project.

    ReplyDelete